KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
nethervoid
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,004,937 Trump card
1,337,427 Picture Thread
477,157 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Lets not Goodwin this thread.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Originally Posted By: Sini
Originally Posted By: Derid
I was simply not discounting hard work

When I read 'hard work' I associate it with 'strong backs and soft minds'. After our lengthy discussions on automation, I hope you are familiar with my stance on this?

Ah, when I think 'hard work' I associate the term with ability to focus on productive tasks for extended periods.

@sini re: fake debt schemes: no of course not

@ sini re Stanislav Lem : no, I am not familiar with Lem - but Mitsuo Fukuda and David Weber among others have given the subject quite a bit of treatment.

@ Kaotic : sf writers are often if not usually extremely intelligent, educated and insightful. Just because something appears in fiction does not mean it is flippantly constructed. Also, the type of eugenics being discussed have nothing in common with the pogroms of the 3rd Reich - instead think pre-natal care. If your fetus has downs syndrome, but you can use a virus programmed to repair the chromosomes do you use it? If your fetus has a malformed skull, and you can use a virus to repair the sequence do you use it? Ok, what if you can use the technique to impart resistance to HIV or Plague? What if you can identify markers for intellect and give your kid an extra 20 IQ points?

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Lets not Goodwin this thread.
I have no idea what this means.
@ Kaotic : sf writers are often if not usually extremely intelligent, educated and insightful. Just because something appears in fiction does not mean it is flippantly constructed. Also, the type of eugenics being discussed have nothing in common with the pogroms of the 3rd Reich - instead think pre-natal care. If your fetus has downs syndrome, but you can use a virus programmed to repair the chromosomes do you use it? If your fetus has a malformed skull, and you can use a virus to repair the sequence do you use it? Ok, what if you can use the technique to impart resistance to HIV or Plague? What if you can identify markers for intellect and give your kid an extra 20 IQ points?
I think viewing eugenics through rose colored glasses is the reason that it took us so long to get into the war in the first place. Most of those ideas originated here with folks like Margaret Sanger and all in the name of removing "undesirables" from society. As for the type of eugenics, I only know of one type and it supports the propagation of those deemed fit or worthy and the elimination, through direct or indirect means, of those who aren't.

I wasn't suggesting that things addressed in SF novels aren't creatively designed and well thought out and I wasn't accusing Sini of being flip. I was merely suggesting that we know where that road leads. You should know as well as any of us that any power given to the government (I know you're not so naive as to think it wouldn't end up there), no matter how altruistic it seems, will eventually be corrupted and abused.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I was simply not discounting hard work

When I read 'hard work' I associate it with 'strong backs and soft minds'. After our lengthy discussions on automation, I hope you are familiar with my stance on this?

I reached conclusion that 'hard work' is about to, or already have, translated into one of the following: a) unnecessary invented work b) demeaning and status-lowering activities exchanged for money. Plus we have very harmful c) use cheap labor to suppress the need for innovation.

a) can be boiled down to digging and filling the trenches and b) can be boiled down to demeaning. Neither produces any amount of 'greater good'. c) is unknown amount of net negative 'greater good'.

This leads to an observation that we have a lot of unnecessary and incapable people. What to do with them? Cheap labor isn't what society needs more of right now and is unlikely to change in the future.

The world still needs ditch diggers and will always need them.

This line I just said is an old labor term which I am sure will confuse you more.

I don't know what you do for a living and I don't really care, not being rude,
but you seem to be on a private island somewhere and do not know how the real world works.

I understand that when you hear hard work you think manual
labor. Its hard for a progressive elitist to think otherwise.

I don't know what you mean by demeaning and invented work and
activities, but I am sure you can fill us in.

The more you talk the more you sound like the eugenics society
that Hitler liked.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Potentially dangerous is understatement. It opens the door for arbitrary standards applied to such far-reaching practices. Are you familiar with works of science fiction writer Stanislav Lem? He explored the idea of disastrous consequences on misapplying eugenics in his SF works.

He was the Russian guy that wrote Solaris????
They made 2 movies out of it, a Russian one and the
one from America.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Polish author, but yes, one that wrote Solaris. My favorite work is The Star Diaries

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/...ot_obesity.html

Probably was a better thread for this, but close enough.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard