KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Morgus
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,008,018 Trump card
1,337,852 Picture Thread
477,360 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Flat above a certain threshold would be fine with me.

The tax plan I favor the most is actually Rand Pauls, where its a flat tax on everything above 50k$ in earnings. People who make under 50k get taxed not at all. Someone who makes 60k gets taxed on 10k, etc

Eliminate all loopholes, and almost all deductions. So its actually a progressive flat tax, someone making a million a year will pay tax on almost all of it. Would free up a lot of overhead costs as well.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
I don't want to type a book; so here is an easy tidbit of information:

A flat tax has been brought up nearly every year, for the past 35 years and even more so just before and after each election. In the end the flat-tax has always and will always be rejected by Congress because it will ultimately cost the US and all state governments a hefty portion of their income from taxation.

If ALL Federal and State spending was FIRST cut in half than a flat-tax could be considered as a possible alternative to current taxation. In addition, social security and medicare would need to be abolished, as anyone making under 50k a year, would not be paying enough into these funds, but would still expect their fair share, come retirement, leaving someone else to pick-up the bill.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
How the hell do you get from here:

Originally Posted By: Derid
Your insistence that amount of pain inflicted on a person is the real measure of their worth is something most rational people find objectionable tbh.

The article was actually pretty interesting, and there is plenty worth thinking on. Its a pity to turn it into a facile exercise of shedding and assigning "guilt".

to here?

Originally Posted By: sini
Well, then how can you turn around and oppose to ultra-progressive taxation? I think every one of you floated some form of a flat tax at one or another point. After all, if only absolute values matter, why bother taxing bottom 50%?

Derid said that most people object to inflicting pain in proportion to their worth and then you question how he can object to punishing people in proportion to their wealth.

Obviously you didn't read the link I gave you to Rand Paul's budget. His flat tax doesn't effect anyone making below $50,000, makes some cuts and still manages to fund social security. Which I personally think needs to see the sunset it was originally supposed to have 70 years ago.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
How the hell do you get from here to here?

I don't mind explaining.

By floating idea that only absolute value of contribution matters you have to accept that only absolute value of anything should be considered.

This way someone donating 1 million will always be considered more generous than someone donating 1$.

I don't necessary agree with this idea, but in order for anyone proposing such idea to stay consistent they have to extend it to other areas - such as taxation.

That is - if bottom 20% don't contribute in absolute numbers much to tax revenue, it doesn't matter (as in not related to notion of fairness) if they don't pay anything at all. So why do we even bother taxing them?

So catch was - if you say that % of your income contributed to charity does not enter "fairness" or "generosity" consideration, you also have to apply it to other areas of life - like tax system.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Obviously you didn't read the link I gave you to Rand Paul's budget.

I did not read it or commented on it because it wasn't interesting to me. You didn't summarize it at all, or quoted any points of interest, and Rand Paul isn't important enough (yet, or maybe ever?) for it to matter. This budget isn't even being voted on. Last I heard Congress passed Paul Ryan's clown budget.

Let me turn this on you, would you read 50 pages of numbers if I were to link Pelosi's budget (I haven't checked, but I am sure she has one) ?

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
How the hell do you get from here to here?

I don't mind explaining.

By floating idea that only absolute value of contribution matters you have to accept that only absolute value of anything should be considered.

This way someone donating 1 million will always be considered more generous than someone donating 1$.

I don't necessary agree with this idea, but in order for anyone proposing such idea to stay consistent they have to extend it to other areas - such as taxation.

That is - if bottom 20% don't contribute in absolute numbers much to tax revenue, it doesn't matter (as in not related to notion of fairness) if they don't pay anything at all. So why do we even bother taxing them?

So catch was - if you say that % of your income contributed to charity does not enter "fairness" or "generosity" consideration, you also have to apply it to other areas of life - like tax system.

Absolute contribution in regards to its effectiveness is one thing. Absolute contribution in terms of subjective judgement of some other quality is something else.

But as noted, taxing the bottom economic% of the population is in fact something I do not see much point in.

But if someone builds a hospital, I think its cool that they built a hospital. I dont think its right to immediately assume that they are cheapskates because from where you sit you think they should have built 2.

Rand Pauls budget was voted on as amendment in Senate, it obviously did not pass. I think it got 18 votes. Paul Ryans budget got a vote as well, it got 40 votes.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
I did not read it or commented on it because it wasn't interesting to me. You didn't summarize it at all, or quoted any points of interest, and Rand Paul isn't important enough (yet, or maybe ever?) for it to matter. This budget isn't even being voted on. Last I heard Congress passed Paul Ryan's clown budget.
I guess I assumed that someone as politically informed as you claim to be would already know some of the high spots and I just posted the actual text for reference. For someone who claims to want better politicians, you sure do ignore the good ones and seemingly support the horrible ones (Pelosi, what an amazing example of the rich feeding from the public trough to get richer).

Let me turn this on you, would you read 50 pages of numbers if I were to link Pelosi's budget (I haven't checked, but I am sure she has one) ?
Nope, because she has proven time and again that, not only would it not be her own work, but she wouldn't have even read it. Why should I bother if she doesn't?

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard