KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Morgus
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,008,018 Trump card
1,337,852 Picture Thread
477,360 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#114762 03/08/13 12:54 PM
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Sugar industry's secret documents echo tobacco tactics

Quote:
When Cristin Couzens went on the hunt for evidence that Big Sugar had manipulated public opinion, she had no idea what she was doing. She was a dentist, not an investigative reporter. But she couldn't let go of the nagging suspicion that something was amiss.

You are never wrong when you can use money to redefine what "ture" is.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Has nothing to do with Free Markets.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

I am sure if it was a govt bureaucrat/apparatchik deciding what people should eat, we would all be better off. amiright?

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
@ Hele Then what it has to do with? "Free" markets are all but free, because information capture is not any different from regulatory capture or legislative corruption. The system is self-corrupting.

@ Derid False equivalence.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Well then how should it work? Either people are able to make their own choices, and final responsibility for ones diet rests with the individual - or it rests with someone else.

If a party was able to stop all research into a topic, that would be one thing. But I do not think that is the case here.

Besides, when it comes to things like sugar - it is clear that it is not particularly bad for you. Unless you overeat to the point of obesity... in which case anything is bad for you.

Trying to tie in age-related disease... I think is a mistake. Once people age to a certain point, the body has a harder time doing many things properly.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Derid

Besides, when it comes to things like sugar - it is clear that it is not particularly bad for you.

It is. And the corn based one you get in the US because of taxes on cane sugar import is even worse.
Processed sugar = type 2 diabetes.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

I consider that age-related more than anything. Of course a lot of people here eat too much of it. But its not like drinking a soda immediately makes you sick. The problem is some people make an entire lifestyle out of poor foods, by choice, and of course it catches up with them when they are older. So I suppose technically speaking, it is not the sugar I consider bad in of itself per se - its the overall diet over a long period of time. Humans seem to be designed for a balanced diet, and diets that focus too much on many things - including fats, proteins, sugars... over a long period of time seem to be unhealthy.

Though I would say its worth noting that I would end Govt subsidy of corn/corn sugar in a heartbeat. First because its silly to subsidize it, and secondly said subsidies almost certainly help drive the over consumption of sugar to a significant degree.

Artificially making less healthy food less costly than other foods seems to me to be completely silly.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Arkh

Besides, when it comes to things like sugar - it is clear that it is not particularly bad for you.

It is. And the corn based one you get in the US because of taxes on cane sugar import is even worse.
Processed sugar = type 2 diabetes.

The body doesn't know the difference between the 2 types of sugars and processes them the same way.

The AMA does acknowledge that, because "HFCS and sucrose are so similar, particularly on absorption by the body, it appears unlikely that HFCS contributes more to obesity or other conditions than sucrose."

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Well then how should it work?

Conceptually - government should be in business of informing citizens and punishing any kind of misbehavior in this area. This is regulation, and goes against typical "small government" libertarian views.

USDA is a good example of this concept.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
You do not want to get me started on the USDA and their gestapo tactics to support Big Agra. Cronyism at its worst.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard