KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
I've scoured the interwebs and I can't find that phrasing anywhere. Perhaps you should start a wiki link and give yourself credit for making it up.

For the record I laid out for you exactly and concisely the formula for determining if an action is moral or not and you chose to ignore it so that you could try and steer the conversation in a direction where you could ridicule the opposition as small minded god people.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Keen

Quote:
keen
adj
1. eager or enthusiastic

Keen on doing something means that you like doing it.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Once again you've ignored the post of substance and are hung up on my attempt to understand your post.

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: sini
It means that you are going for ad hominem attacks and not even participating in the discussion.

Let me know what was not clear about above explanation. Ad Hominem is Latin and means personal attacks.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
Once again you've ignored the post of substance and are hung up on my attempt to understand your post.

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
For the record I laid out for you exactly and concisely the formula for determining if an action is moral or not.

I will be charitable in interpreting your incoherent ramblings and assume that you refer to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" as your 'formula'.

How do you go about making a moral determination if you have no idea, and could not know, what it is like when it is "do unto you"?

For example, how would a heterosexual married man would know what it is like to be discriminated against as a homosexual man? How would an ivy league, silver spoon CEO would know what it is like to have to work for minimum wage, have no other choice but to, and still live below poverty line?

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
If you're too simple minded to understand that you don't do anything, nor expect the government to on your behalf, to someone else that you wouldn't want done to you, then I don't know how to help you.

For instance, the heterosexual man doesn't want someone making decisions about him based on his hair color, so he should be able to understand that it is immoral to discriminate base on anything other than merit.

Your other example makes no sense as there is nothing immoral about being poor or wealthy, so you're going to have to do better with your supposition.

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Quote:
you don't do anything, nor expect the government to on your behalf, to someone else that you wouldn't want done to you

Falling back on your usual bugaboos already?

Again, morality is not a good way to govern or solve anything but moral problems. What charities or causes you should support is a moral question, but our fiscal or domestic social policy are not.

Problem with a simplistic "do onto others" approach is that it implies that you exercise clear judgment, have access to all the relevant information and can impartially evaluate any situation. To further simplify this - our moral code is buggy. We rationalize, we act from bias, we favor in-groups, and we assign different importance to otherwise similar consequences based on a huge number of factors.

Here is another example for you:

We all like nice houses. I would like for someone to give me a zero-down mortgage for a house I am not qualified and could not afford if prices drop. My friend Bob, is a nice person, so I will use my position as a lending officer in the bank to give him such mortgage. I am sure he would do the same to me. Doing so doesn't harm anyone, I am sure he will pay it off eventually, after all house prices keep going up and up.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: sini
Quote:
you don't do anything, nor expect the government to on your behalf, to someone else that you wouldn't want done to you

Falling back on your usual bugaboos already?

Again, morality is not a good way to govern or solve anything but moral problems. What charities or causes you should support is a moral question, but our fiscal or domestic social policy are not.

Problem with a simplistic "do onto others" approach is that it implies that you exercise clear judgment, have access to all the relevant information and can impartially evaluate any situation. To further simplify this - our moral code is buggy. We rationalize, we act from bias, we favor in-groups, and we assign different importance to otherwise similar consequences based on a huge number of factors.

Here is another example for you:

We all like nice houses. I would like for someone to give me a zero-down mortgage for a house I am not qualified and could not afford if prices drop. My friend Bob, is a nice person, so I will use my position as a lending officer in the bank to give him such mortgage. I am sure he would do the same to me. Doing so doesn't harm anyone, I am sure he will pay it off eventually, after all house prices keep going up and up.

All your arguments come down to morals as a liberal democrat progressive it is the bases of your thinking.
All your arguments come down to one moral "its not fair".

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Hele, I can't help but read your posts in zombie voice, but instead of "brains" you are moaning "Foooooox".

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard