KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#109859 11/29/12 04:03 PM
Daye Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
This should be entertaining to watch play out:

Teh Article Link

ALTON BAY, N.H. —

A man seeking full-time police certification is suing the New Hampshire Police Standards & Training Council and the state of New Hampshire, citing gender discrimination after he repeatedly failed a portion of the physical fitness test.

David Scott was hired as a full-time officer by the Barnstead Police Department in 2009, on the condition that he successfully completed the New Hampshire Full-Time Police Academy.

Scott passed all of the academic exams and met requirements in bench presses, sit-ups and push-ups, but failed 12 times over the next two years to complete a 1.5-mile run in the allotted time, finishing 11 seconds too slow in his best run.

Scott, who was already a part-time officer, requested in December 2011 that the academy waive the run requirement to allow him become a full-time officer, but they refused.

Women in the same age group are allowed nearly three minutes more time than men on the same 1.5-mile run, leading Scott to file the lawsuit, which said that the "defendant has discriminated against plaintiff on the basis of his sex."

Scott alleges that the academy discriminated against him based on "an arbitrarily selected different minimum standard based on sex that does not measure in any way the minimum physical ability required to do the job of a certified full-time police officer."

In the lawsuit, Scott is requesting to be certified as a full-time officer, receive back pay with interest, receive full benefits and money for damages and attorney fees.

So. . . .

I've seen this in place for a long, long time going even back to my military days where female and male fitness standards were not one and the same.

Part of me thinks if the guy can't pass the timed run, then he probably shouldn't be doing the job. Then the other part of me wonders why, in the day and age of folks constantly yelling about gender and race inequality, we maintain two standards at all ( male vs female ) for the same job. The physical demands are the same for all field officers, regardless of race or gender. You can either keep up, or you can't. Allowing a lower standard to placate some lawsuit threatening group somewhere is dangerous to the officer and the other officers that may rely upon them.

I can see this going as follows:

The standards will drop to the lower of the two. It would almost have to. If you set the standard to the higher of the two, the forthcoming lawsuits would bury you from the folks who couldn't pass the NEW standard, but could pass the OLD one.

Personally, I'm all for equality between the genders, but the same standards should apply for both sides if they are performing the same job.

Your thoughts ?

Last edited by Daye; 11/29/12 04:16 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Women are not men. All men had to comply with standards that apply to men. All women had to comply with standards that apply to women. David Scott knew what the standards were going into the process, and he did not meet those standards.

Not discrimination.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

I have long thought that there should be no difference in police/military between standards for men/women. It should all be job based. I do think the standards should be the same.

However, I think this guy should lose his lawsuit. After all, he had plenty of time to know the requirements and train to meet them. The idea that he should not have to work to train his body to meet a requirement like everyone else, but instead rely on a lawyer and a possible legal loophole to get him a job and money is something I find abhorrent.

While the double standards may be silly, even sillier is someone not willing to put forth the minimum effort required to succeed. If he was serious about being a beat cop, he should have been training for it.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
I just wonder if he's still training to pass the test, now that he has a lawyer fighting his fight for him?

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard