KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
nethervoid
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,004,937 Trump card
1,337,427 Picture Thread
477,157 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Just because they are temp jobs doesn't mean they are corporations hiring them. Temp workers fill a important
roll in the workplace. Large and small companies higher
temp workers for a reason, one which I am sure you cannot
comprehend.

Now I understand they do not have a place in your unicorn
lollypop universal everything land, but we all have to make
sacrifices.

My company gets temp workers when we have a large project
that needs extra hands to complete but doesn't require
a full time employee after the job is done.

We have also given temp workers full time jobs after
seeing the are competent enough to train for a position.

We even had a temp worker that was on leave from the navy for
a month and was bored and signed up to a temp job with us.
He said he wanted to work while he was off for a month so he
wouldn't get bored.

Temp workers have always been around for thousands of years
its not a new evil corporation plot.

I have even meet people who like temp work and do not plan to
do anything else.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
You did not understand the article. It was about intentionally replacing full time employees with part time and temp workers to save on costs.

Imagine if your employer fired you and hired 2 minimum wage guys working part time to do it. That kind of situation.

"We all have to make sacrifices (so shareholders make extra profit)" logic does not work out for people who do not happen to be shareholders.

Replacing full-time jobs with part time and temp. contract workers absolutely makes sense if you only concerned about profits, it does not at all make sense if you consider wider societal consequences of such actions.

This is not unlike dumping toxic waste into the river. Sure, it reduces your costs and results in higher profits, but your increased profits are minute in comparison to damage your actions cause downstream.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Forbes on McJobs

Quote:
McDonald’s workers suffer financial woes for a simple reason, and it’s not financial ignorance. It’s that their salaries all but doom them to a life of poverty. If the minimum wage had kept up with gains in worker productivity, it would be more than $20 an hour today. In fact, most of us are falling behind.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
McD can pay workers livable wage

McJobs is one clear example where government regulation is needed. I don't eat McD (or shop in Wallmart), yet I sponsor them via my taxes going to social support payments to their employees because corporations won't pay livable wages.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

You are just going to create even more problems with that. If you want to talk about something universal and simple like minimum wage, I am willing to listen.

But the only thing McD's illustrates is that there are myriad problems that have compounded each other. Trying to micro engineer a better result from such a situation with govt action is bound to end not only in failure, but make things worse.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Sini
McD can pay workers livable wage

McJobs is one clear example where government regulation is needed. I don't eat McD (or shop in Wallmart), yet I sponsor them via my taxes going to social support payments to their employees because corporations won't pay livable wages.

Aww, poor guy. Looks like you were duped by the Consumerist pulling its data from HuffPo who got it from an undergrad paper. Oh well, sometimes you're the windshield...
Where HuffPo really gets their info.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Quote:
So a Big Mac would, in fact, have to go up by a full dollar, not 68 cents, in order to double wages at McDonald’s.

HOLY FUCK! WHOLE DOLLAR. THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: CJR
research from Janney Capital Markets. It puts labor costs for US franchises at 24 percent of sales, which gibes with McDonald’s company-owned stores. Janney estimates franchisee operating income at just 5 percent.

Doubling pay without dipping into profit would mean menu prices would have to rise 24 percent—and that’s assuming such price increases wouldn’t hurt sales, which they would.

Now now, let's not just cherry pick the parts we like.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Sini
Quote:
So a Big Mac would, in fact, have to go up by a full dollar, not 68 cents, in order to double wages at McDonald’s.

HOLY FUCK! WHOLE DOLLAR. THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!

For once you are correct.

Last edited by Helemoto; 08/04/13 06:32 AM.
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Please read this article: To My Fellow Plutocrats: You Can Cure Trumpism . It discusses many of the themes we have discussed here over the years.

The real threat to our republic is an alarming breakdown in social cohesion, and the cause of this breakdown is obvious: radical, rising economic inequality, and the anger and anxiety it engenders. The truth is that over the span of decades, American lawmakers (at the behest of economic elites like us!) have enacted policies that have depressed wages, stoked economic insecurity and exacerbated cultural angst and social dislocation. At the same time, a tiny minority of mostly urban elite (again, us!) have benefited obscenely from our growing economic, political and legal power.

and

In 2014, when I last checked in with you all, my home city of Seattle had just passed a $15 minimum wage ordinance. Seattle we were told, would slide into the ocean. Restaurant closures. Epic job losses.

Over the last three years we have implemented the policy in stages. Today, all large employers—those with more than 500 workers on their payroll—pay their workers $15 an hour. Small employers pay between $11 and $13. So how is Seattle doing?

When the ordinance passed in June of 2014, Seattle’s unemployment rate already stood at a healthy 4.5 percent; in April 2017, it hit a record low of 2.6 percent. Seattle is now the fastest growing big city in America. Our restaurant industry is booming, second only to San Francisco in the number of eateries per capita, with food service industry job growth far outpacing the nation. Restaurateurs who once warned against raising wages are now complaining about how hard it is to fill the positions they have.

[Linked Image]
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard