Originally Posted By: Wolfgang
I remember one in particular where a couple robbers went into a Pawn Shop, one of them fired his shotgun as soon as they walked through the door. As soon as he did that the man behind the counter grabbed his pistol and returned fire. Come to find out the shotgun blast hit a female Employee in the neck, she lived. But when someone walks into someplace guns blazing, what do you think your chances of surviving is? I would bet those two would have been dead if the male employee didn't return fire.

I fundamentally disagree with you here. The reason robbers went in guns blazing is because they very reasonably expected people inside to be armed. The fact that in US you expect to deal with armed people is main reason why you don't hesitate to shoot.

You hear someone breaking into your house? Shoot them first, never mind it was drunk next door neighbor confusing the house or teenager after your alcohol cabinet. You are breaking into someone's house to steal a TV and got surprised by an owner? You shoot them first, because you expect to get blown up in turn if you hesitate.

This and nothing else is why US has such ridiculously high number of gun-related violence.

[Linked Image]