Sinij:

As a homeowner, you have no idea what their intentions really are.

Here's a hint: If anyone breaks your window or kicks in your door to gain entry to your home, they're likely not there for a friendly chat.

Once inside and in control, you're at their mercy. Following your logic, you now have to hope they don't do something that will put you or your family on the news later on and into the FBI crime statistics database.

There isn't a day that goes by where the local news here runs yet another story about some home invasion somewhere in the area. Typically anywhere from 2-5 armed men force the door, tie everyone up and take everything. Sometimes they kill the folks inside, sometimes they don't. Hell, sometimes they even like to dress like the police so the homeowner will open the door themselves.

It is not my job to establish criminal intent. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they are standing in my home via illegal entry tells me they have no problems with breaking any laws to begin with. I'm not about to guess what their next plan of action is. I'm not going to give them the opportunity to put it into play.

It is my job to protect my home and those that live within it.

The safety of myself or my family trumps any rights or considerations for anyone who would illegally enter my home regardless of their intent.

If that means the intruders end up DRT, so be it.

Last edited by Daye; 02/06/13 08:01 AM.