Looks like he was a older man that lived by himself and had his house broken into several times recently. He had probably been dwelling on what he would do next time it happened. They would have hurt the old man if given the chance too. Two meth heads breaking into a home are not going to think twice about kicking some old man around the floor and possibly killing him before stealing everything.

It sounds like he went far beyond the point of *stopping* the threat though. The old guy had probably been dreaming about defending himself for a long time and when it finally happened he couldnt control himself with all that adrenaline flowing. A perfect example would be from A Christmas Story when Ralphie finally snapped and beat the hell out of the school bully.

I would rather the old man be alive and in court for overkill then killed by 2 aggressors. No matter how you spin the scenario they were the aggressors and he just happen to get the drop on them.

They were not just on his property. They busted out his window and entered his home. Those meth heads walked into the trap of an guy pushed to the edge by previous break ins and people violating his home. The old man just snapped and couldnt control himself. Maybe the local dope heads will learn they shouldnt smoke meth and go break into homes.
Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly...

I would hate to see them make an example out of this old man and make other citizens second guess their decision to defend their homes in fear of ending up in prison themselves.

He will get punished just like all the other people who defend themselves legally and then illegally go into overkill after the threat has been stopped. He knew he had messed up and that is why he sat on it for so long before calling someone to ask about a lawyer.

Last edited by Sethan; 02/05/13 07:43 AM.