For the latest in lunacy in the US of A:

The goofball who decided to light his home on fire in New York, then shoot the Firefighters responding to it. Managed to kill two I think. That, of course, is not going to be my point but is certainly the basis for it.

This man beautifully demonstrates why putting more laws in place will be a pointless exercise in futility.

This man, according to reports so far, was an ex-con. Felony level ex-con. Killed his grandmother with a HAMMER and served seventeen years for doing so. Hot damn, lets hear it for rehab ! Where's that hammer ban . . . . :D

BY LAW, this man was not allowed to possess firearms of any sort due to his classification as a felon. Yet he had them anyway. Good thing we had the law in place to prevent that from happening :|

Once again, and I do sincerely hope this point eventually sticks for some folks, criminals DO NOT CARE about what laws they are breaking. Thus, the definition of a criminal. Thus the reason I don't rely on laws to ensure my safety. I know the folks who would commit any crime really aren't bothered by what laws they're going to break in doing so. By following the rules, you are already at a disadvantage against those who will not. Police can't protect everyone, the best they can do is pick up the pieces afterwards and try to figure out the who and why of it all.

There are laws on the books for all of the following actions he committed and it didn't seem to slow him down one bit:

Murder ( by hammer )
Murder ( by firearm )
Arson ( he burned down seven frikkin homes )
Assault ( for the folks he shot at but didn't kill )

So, do tell, how anyone can possibly rationalize that yet another law would have somehow prevented this man from engaging in his final rampage ? It's already been stated there are too many firearms out there now for any sort of ban to be effective. Assault rifles or high capacity magazines being irrelevant if you know how to shoot. Substitute a hunting rifle or a frikkin crossbow here and the end result is the same.

So, other than punishing millions of lawful gun owners, how exactly would additional legislation have stopped this ?

Last edited by Daye; 12/27/12 08:51 AM.