Originally Posted By: sini
You can self-congratulate yourself as much as you want, but there is lot of difference between high-caliber automatic/semi and low-caliber handgun. Deadliness. Getting shot to the chest with AK or hollow point is probably not survivable, getting shot with bird shot hunting rifle is very survivable.

Sinij, no offense man, but if there is one topic I'm positive you have no expertise on, it's firearms.

You hit a vital spot ( organ, artery, brain, etc ) with just about anything ( including bird shot ) and the effect is lethal. The larger calibers exist to take down critters who are tougher than we are ( in the hunting world ) or hardened targets ( in the military world ).

The only difference between pistol and rifles are engagement ranges. The rifle is more accurate and designed for targets at longer range than a pistol is whereas a pistol is ideal for concealment and close range work.

In this context, however, we're talking about kids. Not police in body armor. Not bears in the woods. ANY caliber would be more than sufficient here and a whole list of other devices that could have been used instead.

This guy could have, just as easily, walked into the classroom, barricaded the door behind him and emptied a few gallons of gasoline onto everything in the room and lit it up.

The vapor explosion would have been bad enough, but it would have likely burned everyone to death in the classroom.

Same horrific end result. None of the silly talk about banning gasoline. :|

Hell, in my opinion, if anything should be banned it should be the week long obsession by the media about it. Why the hell do you think these folks do this ? Look at the attention they get from it.

Bottom line being, regardless of the tool used, we are a violent species by nature. Some more so than others. Before you disagree, a quick glance at our history all the way back to the beginning will confirm my statement to even the most skeptical among us. You can't stop lunacy because we can't identify it most of the time until after the fact. The sooner folks realize that WE as a species are the f*cking problem, the better off everyone will be.

Last edited by Daye; 12/17/12 09:43 AM.