Originally Posted By: Kaotic
Discuss.
Originally Posted By: sinij
Debt Collector Is Faulted for Tough Tactics in Hospitals

Quote:
Hospital patients waiting in the emergency room or convalescing after surgery could find themselves confronted by an unexpected visitor: a debt collector at bedside.

Accretive debt-collection employees, calling themselves “financial counselors,” are instructed by the upper management ranks to stall patients entering the emergency room until they have agreed to pay a prior balance, according to the documents.

Patients with outstanding balances are closely tracked by Accretive staff members, who list them on what employees refer to as “stop lists,” internal documents show. In March 2011, doctors at Fairview complained that such strong-arm tactics were discouraging patients from seeking life-saving treatments.

damn dude, did you even read your own article? the company was hired by the hospital, number one. number two, what they did was probably illegal, number three, how are these hospitals supposed to survive all this unpaid debt? in my shithole town the county hospital closed- went broke- and the catholic hospital that was left had to reduce services to survive. those filthy christians were mad at losing so much money i guess. what nerve!
anyway i would rather see the hospitals sue their patients who dont oay and take all their stuff.

by the way, i have teenage students who pwe 100s of hours of community service and 10,000s in restitution who must pay those off- you just make one payment at a time

KGB Darkfall